|System for Effective Assessment of Driver State
and Vehicle Control in Emergency Situations
|From 1996-01-01 to 1998-12-31||Ended|
|Dr. Evangelos Bekiaris|
TRD International S.A.
The FP4 project SAVE "System for Effective Assessment of Driver State and Vehicle Control in Emergency Situations" (TR1047), aims at preventing accidents attributed to critical driver state, by monitoring the driver through various subsystems which analyse driving behaviour (vehicle position on the road, speed, acceleration, etc.) and automatically measure basic physiological characteristics (eye-blink rate, steering grip force, head position, etc.) without physical contact with the driver.
The SAVE system prevents accidents due to the drivers state through:
- non-intervening monitoring of driver status through multiple sensors
- in-time driver warning through audio and visual channels
- warnings surrounding traffic of the drivers problem
- taking automatic control of the car and safe parking it at the right side of the road
- automatic calling for help from an Emergency Centre and transmitting the vehicle position, possible cause of the emergency and personal medical data of the driver.
SAVE is based upon three principal subsystems: the Integrated Monitoring Unit (IMU), the SAVE Warning System (SWS) and the Automatic Control Device (ACD).
Although the ACD has been proved to be feasible, and developed for highway conditions, its introduction into the market requires awareness and a very high safety rate in all traffic conditions and full acceptance in the market. On the other hand, the IMU and the SWS subsystems are based on low-cost components and can be expected to enter the market successfully within 3-5 years. The most important steps for the future would be the extension of IMU and ACD subsystems to cover all highway and, if possible, rural traffic scenarios, and adoption by Insurance companies as part of their long-term tariff structures.
- Transport Research & Development International (GR)
- Centrale Organisatie TNO (NL)
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique - Laboratoire d'analyse et d'architecture des Systèmes, (FR)
- Centro Ricerche Fiat S.C.p.A. (IT)
- FIA (FR)
- GIE Renault Recherche Innovation (FR)
- Institut National de Recherche sur les Transports et leur Sécurité (INRETS) (FR)
- Laboratoire de Physiologie et de Psychologie Environmentales, (FR)
- Ministry of Transport, Rijkswaterstaat AVV (NL)
- Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (NL)
- Siemens Automotive S.A. (FR)
- Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute (VTI) (SE)
- The Loughborough University of Technology (UK)
- Universität Stuttgart - Institut Arbeitswissenschaften und Technologiemanagement (DE)
Budget / Funding
Total cost: € 5.113.500
Funded under the call: FP4-TELEMATICS 2C
Topic: A.2-Telematics Applications for Transport