Energy ITS - Automated Truck Platoon
|Energy ITS / Automated Truck Platoon|
|Japan||Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI)|
|From 2008 to 2012||Completed|
|Shingo Mawatari (ITS Research Fellow) & Hiroshi Yamaha (METI)|
Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI)
- Major research project and demonstration of CACC and fully autonomous truck platoons
- Project motivation and funding was environmental / carbon reduction.
- Goal: prove the potential of carbon dioxide reduction by platooning and feasibility of automated platoons with a close following distance.
- PI: Tsugawa, Meijo University
Past phases have resulted in the commercialization of LKA, ACC, etc. Phase 5 Goals:
- Development of sophisticated ASV Technologies
- Development and promotion of the communications-based driver assistance system
- Promotion for understanding and deployment of ASV technologies
- Providing information on the ASV activities for harmonization of the international regulations
- New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) (quasi-governmental organization) performed the work.
- Japan Automobile Research Institute (JARI)
- Universities, private companies, research institutes
The CACC platoon was developed in collaboration with four manufacturers:
- UD Trucks.
Budget / Funding
~4.4 Billion Yen / 43 million USD / (Energy ITS Project Total)
~3.9 Billion Yen / 39 million USD (Automated Truck Platoon)