|From 2013 to 2018||In Progress|
Drive Me is a large-scale autonomous driving pilot project in which 100 self-driving Volvo cars will use public roads in everyday driving conditions in Gothenburg, Sweden. The pilot is scheduled to start in 2017.
The Drive Me project was initiated in 2013, and has deployed its first test vehicles on the roads of Gothenburg since 2014. Their public pilot is scheduled for 2017, when they foresee 100 self-driving to drive in and around the city for a distance of 50 kms. The vehicles will cover roads which are considered typical commuter arteries including motorway conditions and frequent queues. The project will also include fully automated parking enabling drivers to leave the vehicle while the car autonomously finds a vacant spot and parks itself.
The project will focus on a number of areas, such as:
- How autonomous vehicles bring societal and economic benefits by improving traffic efficiency, the traffic environment and road safety
- Infrastructure requirements for autonomous driving
- Typical traffic situations suitable for autonomous vehicles
- Customers’ confidence in autonomous vehicles
- How surrounding drivers interact smoothly with a self-driving car
The main aim of the project is to provide a complete system solution for autonomous vehicles in addition to providing an overview of the benefits self-driving cars can provide society with regards to increased road safety and lower CO2 emissions. It is a way for Volvo Cars to develop its technology towards sustainable mobility. Self-driving cars are viewed by the Swedish government and by Volvo Cars as an important solution in achieving the vision of zero fatalities in traffic. The project will also lead to understand the interaction between human drivers and self-driving cars, in order to find out what happens when both meet, and adjust the technology.
- Volvo Car Group
- the Swedish Transport Administration
- the Swedish Transport Agency
- Lindholmen Science Park *
- the City of Gothenburg
- Chalmers University
Budget / Funding
Pilot; urban setting; city commuting